Thursday, July 16, 2009

Taking stock, making stock

I wasn't going to post today, after spending the morning trying to edit the Bastille Day post so the pictures and words all came out right. In the process of placing the pictures I took a notion to change the font, which messed up all paragraphs , and after I kind of fixed them I decided the new font was too small but I didn't want to change it again and have to do the formatting all over. And now the pictures are all wrong. Aargh... such frustration. I can see the writing on the wall, I'm finally going to have to learn HTML. So be it. I guess.

The reason I decided to write a short post after all is to pass along a couple of news items. One is that the Medford Food Co-op seems to he getting close to selecting a location. I've been a charter member since well before the over the old downtown Ace Hardware site debacle. I surely do hope it's a go this time because I think Medford is ready for it. Also I feel pretty bad about using so much gasoline driving to Ashland to shop for food.

At a meeting of co-op "owners" (while technically correct, I like the term member/shareholders better) last night, we heard a presentation about the pros and cons of three different locations. I favor the Spearco building at 4th anad Fir for several reasons - I like the downtown vibe, I think the building has a lot of character (whereas Foodland is always going to look like Foodland), and I think it has more potential of becoming a grocery shopping destination. Plus the monthly rent is less. So I will do my bit here to help make this happen: if you care, you should become a member too. Community support in the form of dollars is what's going to make this a reality. Information is on the Medford Market website.

Second news item of the day is that if you missed Food Inc. at this spring's Ashland Independent Film Festival, it's showing tomorrow night (Friday) at the Varsity in Ashland at 6 and 8:20. It's an eye-opening documentary about corporate control of America's food supply. Check it out if you get the chance.

Me, my big accomplishment on this very hot day was to clean out the refrigerator and plan menus for the next few days that will use up all those random items I found at the back of the shelves and the bottom of the veggie drawer. While I cleaned, I made a big pot of chicken stock that there is now room for in the fridge, and which I will use tomorrow for my feast in honor of... wait for it.... Ikarian Independence Day! Opa!

No comments:

Post a Comment