Monday, July 13, 2009

About town

I swear, I had the best of intentions when I said I’d post every day. Blame it on a late dinner and three family members who had to “just check something real quick” on the computer before I got my turn… I briefly considered doing my shrieking harridan routine but decided to retreat upstairs with a book (Olive Kitteridge*) instead. Harridan is not a good look for me.

The best thing to happen food-wise yesterday was that I found myself in downtown Ashland at 11 in the morning, having skipped breakfast and needing to fill in an hour before a noon appointment. What else could I do but go to Mix Sweet Shop? I usually try to avoid this place, just because I love it so much and know I am destined to eat things there I shouldn’t. But really… I had no choice. Mix was just reviewed a couple of weeks ago by Sarah Lemon in the Mail Tribune so it would be redundant for me to go into too much detail; instead I’ll just say “what she said” and you can read it here. I will however let you know that yesterday I had the caramel pecan bun and it was everything it should be: buttery, flaky, soft, sticky, sweet, and nutty. Good thing I took it and my coffee to Lithia Park or I might have had to buy a second one (honestly, I have no self-control). Also I will tell you that while volunteering last spring at the Ashland Independent Film Festival, I partook of a Mix tartine every single day. It was almost like being in Cannes. I love it when a food establishment does things the right way. “Croissants” from grocery store bakeries are a travesty. If you want the real thing, go to Mix.

In the evening we attended a fundraiser event for Ashland’s Ballet in the Park at Paschal winery in Talent. In my (admittedly limited) experience visiting the valley’s small wineries, the atmosphere at these places is always relaxed and the vineyards are truly lovely when the sun is getting low. Plus, I do like a glass of wine (or two) (maybe even three). Last night we shared a bottle of the Paschal Maya’s New White Wine (2006) while watching the dancers. I am no wine expert so all I’ll just say that it was pleasantly crisp and pinot gris-ish. There was the usual assortment of snacks provided by members of the board, the highlight being little bruschetta: tomatoes, basil, olive oil, toasted baguettes – a good reminder to make those summer treats at home as soon as our tomatoes are ripe.

This morning I went to the YMCA for the first time in a year and a half, having fallen off the exercise wagon at Thanksgiving 2007 and subsequently finding myself unable to climb back on due to massive consumption of creamed onions, pureed sweet potatoes, and pecan pie. After my little aerobic outing this morning I came home and treated myself to a garden frittata: zucchini blossoms, basil, and a little yellow pepper I found out there, two eggs, feta cheese, and salt and pepper. Tasted like summer.

Tonight I’m making a Cuban dinner – ginger chicken, black beans, rice, avocado and mango salad. It practically screams for a mojito; too bad I don’t like mixed drinks. New recipes all, but I’ll have to tell you tomorrow how it all turned out. And (not like today and yesterday) I will remember to take pictures.

*not about food, despite the Olive in the title

1 comment:

  1. Trying out Oregon wines is so fun. I honestly didn't even think about it until a buddy of mine from California pointed out all the great wineries I had in my own backyard.

    Relaxed is right. And I like that.

    I feel a bit like a tourist in Napa, but in Oregon I feel like an adventurer.

    ReplyDelete